Oh, Asher. He’s such an active, daring, impulsive boy that I do sometimes worry about keeping him alive until adulthood.
Today I was nursing Allie and working on Maddie’s birthday post. The kids were all playing with various siblings. Then I heard the boys scream. Asher started sobbing and Braden was crying out, “Oh, Asher! Oh no, Asher! Are you okay? Oh no!”
I ran to see what was going on and found two hysterical boys and a smoldering outlet. Asher was holding his hand and screaming in pain. It was obvious that he’d been shocked and burned. He was all wrapped up in a computer cable with it laced through his belt loops (I assumed this is what he put in the outlet) and he was soaking wet from playing in the water, two things that worried me given the electricity involved.
I checked out his hand and was even more nervous when I saw that his thumb was black and charred. I scooped Asher up and ran his thumb under cold water until he settled down. The water washed most of the blackness away. It was just black from the smoking cable, not burned flesh like I’d thought at first.
It took a minute to piece all the details together, but I eventually figured out the sequence of events. Asher took the cover off the outlet and then shoved both ends of an HDMI cable (the one that was wrapped around him) into the side of the socket. The boys said it was sparking and smoking.
I wasn’t sure how serious this was so I called Uncle Tracy, an experienced ER nurse. He told me what to watch for, things like an elevated heart rate or problems with the burn itself. He said that Asher had probably just gotten a minor shock and a small burn and would be okay.
Braden was very upset by all this. He kept saying that Asher could have died and that the shock could have gotten to his heart. He brought Asher some toys to help him feel better. This made Jake very jealous and he insisted, “I almost died too!”
Once the initial pain had subsided, Asher wasn’t nearly as upset as Braden. Hoping to drive home a point about outlet safety, I asked Asher what he’d learned.
He responded, “Some things you can put in there (and he pointed at the outlet) and it does nothing and some things you put in there and it does do something, like make fire.”
Asher seems fine now. His thumb is red with a large white burned area, but he says it doesn’t hurt. Everything about him seems normal, including his heart rate… Though I don’t know if I can say the same for my own panicked heart!
Life with lots of little boys is certainly never dull. Within an hour of this incident, I caught the boys cutting up a milk carton with a steak knife…
Rick and I joke that our boys (Asher and Jacob especially) must have an entire SWAT team of guardian angels protecting them!
I do believe in miracles and divine protection from Heavenly Father. I’m very thankful for those things, especially as I raise my children.
Tonight I slipped into Asher’s room after he was asleep. He was stretched out on the bed on his tummy, relaxed and peaceful. I rubbed his bare back and said a silent prayer. I thanked Heavenly Father for this precious boy and for protecting him today and always. I asked for continued protection for Asher and for help and guidance as I raise him.
I adore this boy! I’m so glad he only has a burnt thumb tonight.